Moonflower has adapted a preferred ingredient policy to help guide customers towards responsible food choices.
We have an extensive selection of products that are organic, non-GMO, gluten-free, vegetarian, vegan, and suitable for a variety of other dietary restrictions. This allows us to accommodate nearly any palate.
Moonflower Preferred Products Contain:
- NO hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils
- NO cottonseed or palm kernel oil
- NO solvent extracted oils as stand alone oils
- NO high fructose corn syrup
- NO artificial colors or flavors
- NO artificial sweeteners
- NO irradiated foods
- No artificial preservatives
- NO MSG
- NO growth hormones in dairy products
- NO commercially grown produce
- NO parabens in personal care or supplements
- NO farm-raised fish, excluding shellfish
- NO sodium lauryl sulfate
- ONLY troll/pole caught, dolphin-friendly tuna
- NO antibiotics, growth hormones, or animal byproducts in the feed of meat or dairy animals
- Organic over non-organic ingredients
- Non-GMO corn and soy ingredients
- Unrefined, natural sweeteners
- No gratuitous supplements in food
- Cage-free and grass-fed eggs and meat
- U.S. Pacific tuna
- Products from the U.S. and Canada, with local and regional products given the highest preference
- Products sourced from independently owned companies
- Fair Trade coffee and chocolate products
- Only organic or locally grown produce
Other Things We Consider:
- Ethical practices of the companies and brands we sell
- Product Mix – Whenever possible include at least one gluten free, vegan, raw, non-GMO, and local or regional option in each category.
Because of the limited number of products available that fall into our high standards of purity and efficacy, we will not be further limiting the number of products available (a re-evaluation and discontinuation of many products was conducted in the winter of 2013 and 2014). Rather, we are highlighting products which meet our standards through ‘Moonflower’s Gold Star Standard.’
A ‘Gold Star’ Product:
- Contains no additives or preservatives apart from the main therapeutic and nutritional ingredients
- Contains no synthetic chemicals, vitamins, or amino acids or vitamins and amino acids of unknown origin
Why not hydrogenated oils?
Hydrogenated oils are synthetic fats that damage the immune system, raise blood cholesterol, and are connected with a variety of illnesses including heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, and cancer.
Why not cottonseed oil?
Cotton is one of the most heavily sprayed, largely genetically-modified crops. As well, cottonseed oil is toxic to the liver and contributes to a variety of illnesses including cancer, heart disease, diabetes, and cancer.
Why not palm kernel oil?
Highly refined fat that cannot be organically extracted. It is linked to a variety of illnesses including cancer, heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. Not to mention, the wildlife killed to produce this product.
Why not high fructose corn syrup?
High fructose corn syrup is a highly refined sweetener that is strongly linked to diabetes, heart disease and other illnesses – much more so than regular table sugar.
Why not artificial colors or flavors?
Artificial colors cause over-activity of nerve receptors which can lead to nerve/brain damage. Artificial colors have been clinically shown to increase ADHD in children. Artificial flavors are chemical compounds. It is unknown what the health effects may be of consuming them.
Why not MSG?
MSG causes over-activity of nerve receptors which can lead to nerve/brain damage. It is also a stomach irritant and allergen for many people.
Why not growth hormones in dairy products?
Cows injected with growth hormones have a shorter life span where they are more prone to bacterial infections and malnourishment. This leads to lower quality milk that contains higher quantities of pus from infection of the udders and higher levels of antibiotic residue as well as hormone residue.
Why not commercially grown produce?
Commercially grown produce is sprayed with a variety of pesticides that are known to cause cancer, and damage the nervous system and other organs. Soil is usually devoid of nutrients and is replenished with artificial fertilizers that damage ecosystems. Commercially grown produce also has fewer nutrients. Pesticide use may also be a link in declining bee populations and general practices of industrial agriculture are environmentally destructive.
Why not parabens or sodium laureth sulfate?
These are both estrogen mimickers that can disrupt hormonal balance in the body and cause cancer. Sodium laureth sulfate is also a skin irritant. Sodium laureth sulfate is banned in the EU as a known carcinogen.